rolled up fire hose

3 Leading Causes of House Fires and How to Prevent Them

Ensuring the safety of your home from burglars is one thing, but one internal threat that may be looming within the bounds of your home are fire hazards. They’re all over your house more than you realize—in the kitchen, the bedrooms, and even in the laundry room.

The good news is: with proper care and maintenance, these fire hazards can be avoided. For example, calling services for dryer vent cleaning in Denver prevents potential fire caused by accumulated lint in the dryer.

Fires are entirely preventable when a person is aware of the hazards. They can take the necessary actions and precautions to keep their house safe.

Here are three fire hazards and how to avoid them:

Old and Dirty Appliances

Outdated appliances may also be more prone to start fires because of their older machinery and mechanics. Appliances that lack proper care and maintenance could have some material build-ups that can be ignited by emitted heat. Dryers caused 25,000 fires in four years, and dryers make up 9 out of 10 of appliance fires.

How to avoid potential fires:

  • Appliances should have a seal that indicates it has passed a series of tests and are safe to use.
  • If possible, replace old appliances with new ones or have them checked.
  • Dryer vents and lint screens should be regularly cleaned.
  • When appliances malfunction, have them checked by an expert immediately.

Kitchen Fires

23% of home fires begin in the kitchen. Curtains and towels often cause these placed too close to fires. Grease fires are also extremely flammable, and setting the fire too high when cooking can be dangerous.

How to avoid potential fires:

  • Don’t place towels, curtains, and any other combustibles near the stove.
  • Look out for branches—or anything that can catch on fire—around the grill.
  • Thoroughly clean the stove to wipe off hidden grease stuck between creases.
  • Use an appropriate amount of fire when cooking.
  • Make sure that vents are not blocked by anything.

electric outlet on the wall

Overloaded Extension Cords

Fires caused by electrical malfunctions comprise 9% of home fires. Overheating is a result of plugging too many appliances and gadgets to extension cords. This happens when the things that are plugged exceed the wattage capacity of the cord. Insulation of the wires may be damaged by overheating, causing fires to break out.

How to avoid potential fires:

  • Plug directly to the wall socket if possible.
  • Situate huge appliances near wall sockets.
  • Place extension cords away from rugs and other combustible materials to avoid fire from spreading.
  • Unplug your appliances and gadgets when you’re away.

More ways to exercise fire safety:

  • Place heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible. Avoid placing it on top of a rug or a carpet.
  • Have a fire extinguisher ready at home.
  • Familiarize the fire escape plan of your house.
  • Never block the fire exit.

Take note of these things the next time you’re in the kitchen, doing laundry, or plugging another thing to the extension cord. Being aware of fire hazards can save you from losing your valued home and can save everyone’s life.

About the Author


Scroll to Top